Low Histamine Foods - Take Back Your Health

low histamine foods



Scroll to the bottom of this page for my low histamine foods list


Is histamine causing your symptoms?


For many years I suffered from cold symptoms after eating meals.  Itchy eyes, runny nose and sometimes even itchy skin.  I always assumed I was allergic to something that was in my food.  I had tried many times to remove different foods and spices from my diet for periods of time to see if I could narrow it down.  It wasn’t with every meal I had these symptoms but quite often and trying to determine the exact cause on my own was proving to be impossible.  After many years of suffering it was suggest to me by a friend that I do a food allergy test which I did.  I was surprised to learn when my test came back that I didn’t have any allergies to any of the foods that I eat on a regular basis.  I followed the doctors orders and cut out the few food items that he said I may be allergic to, mostly shellfish.  It wasn’t hard to avoid these as I never consume a lot of shell fish.  Needless to say my symptoms continued and I began to feel hopeless.  That is when I learn from my holistic doctor that I may be sensitive to the histamine in the foods I was eating.  Once I was able to rule out food allergies, I began seeing a nutritionist who was able to create a dietary plan that would work for me.  It wasn’t until I started eating low histamine foods that I really began to notice a difference.


If you think you may be sensitive to histamine in your foods, I would recommend changing your diet to include low histamine foods and keeping track of your progress in a food diary.  This way you can monitor your symptoms and begin a path to a healthier life

What is histamine?


Histamine is a compound found in the cells of the human body, is a natural component of many foods. It is an important component of the immune and neurologic systems and is involved in the process of inflammation. Histamine can cause a variety of symptoms depending on where it is released and what receptors it binds to.


Other histamine sensitivity symptoms:


• Eczema, Rashes or Hives
• Headaches including migrane headaches
• Loose Stool, Diarrhea
• Low blood pressure
• Runny nose, itchy eyes, congestion


What Causes High Histamine Levels?


  • Allergies
  • Overgrowth of bacteria
  • Leaky gut syndrome
  • Gastric intestinal bleeding / ulcers
  • Alcoholic beverages (fermented)
  • Diamine Oxidase (DAO) deficiency
  • Histamine-rich foods


Low histamine foods:



  • Freshly cooked meat, poultry (frozen or fresh)
  • freshly caught fish
  • eggs
  • Rice, quinoa (gluten-free grains)
  • Peanut butter (pure, organic, no added ingredients)
  • Fresh fruits such as pear, watermelon, mango, apple, grapes, kiwi, and cantaloupe
  • Fresh vegetables (with the exception of spinach, tomatoes, eggplant, and avacado)
  • Dairy alternatives: rice milk, coconut milk, almond milk, hemp milk
  • Olive oil, coconut oil
  • Fresh herbs
  • Herbal tea

Comments